Are you struggling with staying healthy while working a 9-to-5 lifestyle? Check out our tips below:
1. Avoid snacks. You know, those delicious snacks that your co-workers bring in or your customers drop by? Having one once in a while won’t hurt anything, but day after day those calories add up and can add a few extra pounds before you know it. Try the “out of sight out of mind” method and avoid those temptations.
2. Drink water. Make sure that you are drinking enough water throughout the work day. Many foods, such as fruits, can also provide a good source of water. You know that 2 o’clock slump? Well, that can sometimes be due to dehydration.
3. Exercise. Taking a walk during your lunch break is a great way to exercise at work. Not only are you burning calories, but walking also reduces stress and helps you re-focus. If you aren’t able to walk during lunch, try parking farther away than you normally would, this way you have a short walk in the morning and the evening.
4. Eat a healthy lunch. Eating healthy options is an important part of a balanced diet, and eating balanced portions is an important part of your health.
5. Stretch. Make sure to take a few breaks throughout the day to stretch. For example, if you talk on the phone most of the day, take time to perform some simple neck stretches to decrease the risk of tightness and pain.
6. Distance your screen. If you work at a computer all day, make sure your computer screen is arms distance away. This can reduce the risk of eyestrain and headaches.
7. Avoid consecutive long days. Avoid working long hours several days in a row. Your body needs time to re-charge and re-focus.
8. Clean your equipment. Whether that includes a keyboard, phone, mouse, etc. make sure the items you touch daily are clean.
9. Be smart. Make sure you are aware of any health risks in your work surroundings. Ex. wear a mask, ear protection, etc.
10. Know your limits. Listen to your body, and take breaks as needed.
Ashley Bland, PTA
Therapy Works Vibrant Health Caring Professionals | Lawrence, KS