- Wear supportive shoes with good arch support to prevent muscle strain
- Keep core engaged with every activity you do to support low back; stand as straight as possible
and keep your head up when raking or mowing
- Try to do yard chores in the morning (before 10am) or in the evening (after 6pm) to avoid the
- Bend at the knees, not at the back, to avoid back strain when picking up items from the ground
DRINK LOTS OF WATER AND ALWAYS WEAR SUNSCREEN
- Be sure to switch the side on which you operate yard equipment as often as possible, and to
balance the muscles being used, alternate your stance and motion frequently.
- Try ergonomic tools when available as they are designed to protect your body
- When mowing, push the mower with your whole body, rather than just your arms and back
- Take frequent breaks from the activity to avoid muscle fatigue and strain; use this break to get some water or reapply sunscreen!
Bri Henggeler, DPT