Biofeedback is a technique that physical therapists use to evaluate and control different functions of the body. When a patient participates in biofeedback treatments, they are connected to electrical sensors through myoMuscle™ software. These sensors help provide helpful information about the body.
Due to the information received from the sensors, your physical therapist can help you make subtle changes to your body (such as relaxing certain muscles) in order to relieve pain and improve function. Biofeedback helps patients improve their health conditions and physical performance by allowing for new ways to practice body control. If you are interested in learning more about biofeedback and how it may benefit you, contact TherapyWorks today.
How does biofeedback work?
The myoMuscle™ software module features an intricate and sophisticated toolset capable of handling any type of neuromuscular-kinesiological data captures with our Ultium-EMG sensors, as well as any other legacy EMG systems. Real-time data is automatically synchronized in an all-in-one analysis, enabling detailed insight for muscle performance.
There are a variety of biofeedback methods that our licensed Lawrence, KS physical therapists employ. They may decide to do any combination of these methods, based on the nature of your condition and your overall goals. The different types of biofeedback methods include:
- Muscle contraction. Sensors are placed on your skeletal muscles through an electromyograph (EMG). This is done to monitor how electrical activity impacts muscle contraction.
- Breathing. This is also known as “respiratory biofeedback.” Bands are placed around your abdomen and chest, in order to monitor your breathing patterns and respiration rate.
- Brain waves. Sensors are placed on your scalp through an electroencephalograph (EEG). This is done to monitor your brain waves.
- Heart rate. This method may be conducted in one of two ways: 1) sensors are placed on your fingers and earlobes through a photoplethysmograph to detect blood volume changes, or 2) sensors are placed on your wrists, lower torso, and chest through an electrocardiograph (ECG), in order to monitor your heart rate and how it may vary.
- Temperature. Sensors are attached to your fingers and feet. This is done to monitor your blood flow to your skin as a temperature measurement. Your temperature may drop if you are stressed out, and your physical therapist may walk you through relaxation techniques.
- Sweat gland activity. Sensors are attached to your fingers, palm, and/or wrists through an electrodermograph (EDG). This is done to monitor your sweat gland activity and skin perspiration.
Who is a candidate for biofeedback?
There are a wide range of conditions that biofeedback can monitor and help treat. These include physical, mental, and emotional conditions, including but not limited to:
- Chronic pain
- High blood pressure
- Anxiety and stress
- Headaches and migraines
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Fecal and urinary incontinence
- Side effects of chemotherapy
- Raynaud’s disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ)
How will biofeedback benefit me?
There are several benefits to participating in biofeedback treatments. As a non-invasive way to monitor different aspects of the body and determine where changes in muscle movement should be made, biofeedback can improve function. In many cases, biofeedback treatments can even eliminate the need for harmful drugs or surgical correction, as they provide imperative information on the root of the problem. By doing so, our physical therapists are then able to design specialized treatment plans to treat the issue at its core.
Biofeedback treatments have also been helpful for women who may not be able to take any medications due to pregnancy. The treatments are a safe, natural, and effective way to relieve pain and regain optimum function of your body. Overall, biofeedback treatments are a great way to provide recovery from a large number of conditions, by focusing on body control and allowing you to feel more in control of your health.
If you are suffering from a physical, mental, or emotional condition that is limiting your daily life, biofeedback treatments may be for you. Contact Us Today at Lawrence, KS Center to schedule an appointment and discuss how you may benefit from biofeedback. At TherapyWorks, we are dedicated to improving your health and wellness so you can get back to living your life.